Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc., a national mortgage company headquartered in San Diego, California, has an excellent opportunity for an Underwriting Team Lead position with our Wholesale Division in Jacksonville, Florida.
Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc. was originally founded in December of 2000 to serve the San Diego area mortgage market. Due to our growth and success, we now have branches throughout the United States and we are continuing to grow and expand in anticipation of market demands. Plaza is privately owned and operates as a full service Mortgage Banker. We originate mortgage loans on both a wholesale and correspondent basis.
Our ideal candidate should be outgoing, hardworking, and maintain high levels of professionalism and ethics.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF JOB AND CONTRIBUTION TO ORGANIZATION:
This position is responsible for supervising the daily activity of a group of Underwriters as well as providing them with leadership and support.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Must comply with all BSA/AML requirements as well as any mandatory changes. The following job functions are not all-inclusive. The associate will be required to perform other job-related tasks/responsibilities requested by the manager. Job duties may change as required by needs of company. Must complete all required industry and compliance training as required by Plaza Home Mortgage.
1. Manage a team of underwriters within the Underwriting department of the regional operations center.
2. Work directly with Underwriters by providing training and daily support.
3. Assist with recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of Underwriters.
4. Motivate and coach underwriting team in achieving branch goals.
5. Monitor reports for the purpose of identifying positive and negative trends in productivity within the underwriting department.
6. Manage pipeline to ensure loans are approved and then cleared-to-close within the expected turn-times.
7. Oversee the credit policy and underwriting department and substantiate they are adhering to all Plaza’s Policy & Procedures and that loans are processed in compliance with all underwriting guidelines.
8. Engage in verbal and written communication with clients and Sales team.
9. Effectively communicate to the underwriting department about company changes to policy and procedures.
10. Knowledge of FNMA, and FMLMC documentation and general guidelines/standards. Additionally, experience with FHA, VA and USDA required.
11. Ability to act as FHA DE and/or VA Automatic and SAR Underwriter.
12. May be asked to second sign loan decisions for lower level authority underwriters.
13. Act as underwriting resource for the branch.
14. Assist in resolving branch post-closing suspense issues.
15. Evaluate and analyze complex income tax returns to establish qualifying income.
16. Help with underwriting overflow when required on initial underwrites, reunderwrites, and conditions being submitted for files to be cleared-to-close.
17. Participate in developing process improvements and efficiencies as an ongoing best practice.
18. Conduct periodic loan-level audits to ensure compliance with all company quality standards.
19. Report productivity and departmental errors on monthly basis to Underwriting Manager and/or Assistant Vice President.
20. Assess and evaluate underwriter scorecard for efficiency gains; instruct team members when required.
21. Coach underwriting team regularly on their job performance and complete annual performance reviews by due date.
22. Lead, guide, mentor, and train entire underwriting department.
23. Work with Assistant Vice President on setting monthly goals.
24. Other duties as assigned.