Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc., a national wholesale mortgage company headquartered in San Diego, California, has a full-time opportunity for a Remote National Underwriter with our Corporate Office.
Founded in 2000, Plaza Home Mortgage, Inc. is a privately owned, full-service national lender, offering Wholesale, Correspondent, Renovation and Reverse residential mortgages. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Plaza maintains a network of Operations Centers and employs mortgage associates nationwide. Plaza is dedicated to building quality, long-term relationships with its mortgage broker and correspondent clients by offering comprehensive programs and exceptional customer experience.
Our ideal candidate should be hardworking and maintain high levels of professionalism and ethics.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF JOB AND CONTRIBUTION TO ORGANIZATION:
This position is responsible for the overall credit quality, loan file documentation, and performance of underwriters in the branches they support. The National Underwriter works closely with branch underwriters, Team Leads, UW Managers, and Regional Managers, as well as Plaza QC and QA Departments to ensure product quality meets or exceeds Company expectations.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Must comply with all BSA/AML requirements as well as any mandatory changes. The following job functions are not all-inclusive. The associate will be required to perform other job-related tasks/responsibilities requested by the manager. Job duties may change as required by needs of company. Must complete all required industry and compliance training as required by Plaza Home Mortgage.
- Coordinate closely with branch underwriters, Team Leads, UW Managers, Regional Managers, as well as Plaza QC and QA Departments to ensure product quality meets or exceeds Company expectations.
- Provide mentoring to assist in the development of functional, communication and leadership skills of Level 5, Team Lead and UW Managers within assigned region.
- Coordinate monthly meetings with Level 5, Team Lead and UW Managers to review loan quality trends and performance.
- Work productively with Corporate Underwriting and SVP, Chief Underwriter.
- Provide training on new products and guidelines, from a corporate standpoint to all Plaza underwriters, Team Leads, UW Managers and Regional Managers.
- Work closely with Plaza’s QC and QA departments on quality issues and relaying that information to all underwriting personnel and Region management.
- Track and report on audits performed by Plaza, agencies or aggregators to ensure all federal and agency regulations have been followed by underwriting staffs.
- Monitor underwriting authority levels, approving changes in level requests and track progress & performance of branch underwriters.
- Provide accurate and timely responses to the Plaza National Underwriting email box.
- Analyze and evaluate consumer home loan applications and the supporting documentation to assess borrowers' creditworthiness.
- Recommend credit decisions and provide written documentation of those decisions within the LOS.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and be a resource to others on questions related to Underwriting.
- Provide training and mentoring to Plaza Underwriting staff in assigned region.
- Second sign decisions and approve/deny exception requests presented to National Underwriting email inbox.
- Underwrite, when required, one or all of the following loan types; Conventional, FHA, FHA203k, VA and USDA loans.
- Evaluate risk to ensure a prudent decision is made.
- Partner with sales and regional management to ensure mortgage applications are originated efficiently and in compliance with all Plaza Home Mortgage regulatory requirements, especially as it pertains to Underwriting.
- Monitor origination reports for the purpose of identifying negative credit quality and/or loan performance trends.
- Create, implement, monitor and report on internal quality control initiatives, initiating corrective action when necessary.
- Establish a regular feedback process that provides the SVP, Chief Underwriter with consistent, meaningful feedback on credit quality issues found in internal and external audits and reviews.