Peer Specialists will cultivate trusting relationships with Intensive Mobile Treatment (IMT) consumers and aid them in their recovery. Peer Specialists will help consumers learn skills for coping with and managing behavioral health symptoms while facilitating the utilization of community resources and the enhancement of recovery-oriented principles (e.g. hope and self-efficacy, and community living skills). Pays:$50,000 per year
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
* Build relationships with program consumers and their networks of support
* Accompany clients to appointments and complete warm hand off referrals
* Work as a member of multidisciplinary treatment team that practices client centered and holistic care
* Communicate effectively with clients and collateral contacts and conduct outreach for care coordination and community connections.
* Provide advocacy services for clients, including assisting individuals in obtaining benefits and entitlements, food, housing, and access appropriate care in the community.
* Conduct outreach and engagement such as interim visits with individuals after a discharge from a hospital, rehab, or inpatient stay to facilitate community tenure and increased readiness while waiting for the first post- discharge visit with a community-based mental health provider.
* Assist in the selection and utilization of self-directed recovery tools such as relapse prevention planning as part of assisting clients with self-help tools. * Connect individuals to self-help groups in the community.
* Provide recovery education and counseling to individuals and their family members.
* Provide transitional supports bridging from an institution to an individual's home.
* Provide pre-crisis and crisis support services. Peers may assist with developing crisis diversion plans or relapse prevention plans; may provide support during and after a crisis and may assist with connecting an individual with natural supports and linkages to community services.
* Follow-up with the individual and the individual's family/support network to confirm linkage to care, outpatient treatment or other community services.
* Participate in on call rotation as part of IMT team * Participate in daily IMT staff and organizational meetings
* Become certified, with either a Provisional or Professional certification, within a year of hire.
* Practice according to the principles of recovery oriented and trauma informed service delivery.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* High school diploma or certified high school equivalency. NYS OMH certification preferred
* Experience with substance use disorder, mental illness, and/or homelessness required.
* Bilingual (Spanish/English) strongly preferred