The grant accountant performs the accounting and financial functions for programs funded by grants or special revenue. These functions include: preparing financial projections and budgets, actual vs. budget reporting, reviewing/monitoring of individual grants and transactions for compliance with private, local, state and federal fund requirements, billing and collections, journal entries, corrective action plans and financial grant reporting including preparation of reports for granting authorities and the Agency. Position may also be required to verify budget proposals for grant applications. This position also is responsible for providing financial information by recording, maintaining and reconciling financial data; preparing schedules and reports. Assists in preparing and coordinating the General Ledger for assigned cost centers, participates in the Budget Process, participates in Year End Audits, and gathers information required and facilitates department reporting and variance analysis.
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
· Plans, organizes, and coordinates the accounting and financial reporting for assigned grant portfolio, including: preparing annual and project budgets, forecasting revenue, estimating any carry-over of funds from one year to the next.
· Researches issues, prepares invoices/ billings and collects funds for the support of restricted fund expenditures.
· Prepares or assists in the preparation of all applicable fiscal reports for grant funded programs and ensures the accuracy and timeliness submission thereof.
· Participate and communicate effectively in monthly financial meetings with the agency controller and program administrators regarding the financial status of each grant. Status will include unspent of grant funds, position vacancies, budget modifications, deadlines and any compliance issues.
· Develops positive working relationships to foster a collaborative environment for grant coordination and oversight to meet program goals.
· Attends professional development training and stay abreast of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circulars and their applicability to grant management related audit, federal regulations, state laws and agency policies, and any workshops or seminars on grants or special revenues.
· Compiles year-end reports, work papers and analysis necessary for the agency's auditors to complete the yearly audit related to the grants.
· Maintains grant fiscal records, allocations, accounts receivable and documentation support.
· Maintains general ledger and trial balance for grants and monitors charges for reasonableness and compliance with government agency's policies and procedures.
· Prepare bank reconciliations
· Record and Reconcile inter-company transactions.
· Maintain accounting controls by following policies and procedures; complying with federal, state and local code requirements
· Performs other duties or special projects as assigned.
· BA Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience
· 5 years Non-Profit Accounting & Grant experience
· 3+ years related experience required
· Knowledge of New York State Medicaid regulations
· Knowledge of Government Contract management
· Accounting and reconciliation
· Attention to detail
· Deadline oriented
· Proficient in Excel
· Proficient in computer skills
· Non-Profit experience preferred