Acacia Network has been leading community advancement since 1969 and is currently serving communities in all New York City boroughs, Albany, Buffalo, Orlando and Puerto Rico. Our facilities offer world-class service to local underserved populations, providing a wide-range of programs including primary care, mental health counseling, housing, substance abuse rehabilitation, and education.
The Recreational Specialist will work with clients that are not fit for the employment aspect of the enhanced program. He/She will seek out other therapeutic options for the clients. The Recreational Specialist will coordinate recreational based treatments for clients with disability, injuries, brain injuries or other illnesses, using modalities such as art therapy, music, dance sports and games. The Recreational Specialist will help individuals build confidence; and socialize effectively so that they can gain greater independence and assist in reducing the effects of their illness or disability.
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Manage the daily operations of recreational materials and space
- Coordinate, implement and facilitate support groups, recreational special events and holiday programs
- Assist in the development and implementation of new programs aimed at enhancing clients motivation
- Coordinate programs with case managers in order to facilitate successful interest-related groups
- Develop contacts for off-site activities with businesses, community organizations and agencies
- Create treatment plans to assist the clients with coping with issues
- Track activities provided and success rates. Maintain up to date progress notes on assigned clients
- Provide aftercare to assigned clients who have been placed/discharged from the facility
- Other duties in keeping with the scope and nature of the position
- Organize, manage, and promote interest in recreational activities, such as arts, crafts, sports, games, and hobbies
- Expose clients to activities, introducing them to other participants, explaining facility rules, and encouraging participation
- Enforce rules and regulations of recreational facilities to maintain discipline and ensure safety
- Bachelor’s Degree in Therapeutic related field, required.
- Experience working with DHS, and providing direct service to populations impacted by HIV/AIDS, mental illness, substance abuse and homelessness is required
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills
*Acacia Network is an equal opportunity employer*