Behavioral Health (Promesa)
Jamaica, NY : 6/11/2020
Behavioral Health (Promesa)
The Chef/Cook will manage the inventory and order food and beverages, equipment, and supplies. Oversee food preparation, portion sizes, and the overall presentation of food. Supervise kitchen staff, interns and volunteers. Assist with agency special events. Review and maintain food budget. Collaborate with other operations staff and vendors as needed. Ensure compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and kitchen maintenance.
KEY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee the daily operation of the kitchen and dining room.
- Monitor food budgets and review financial transactions in order to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted. Estimate food and other beverage consumption in order to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
- Work with food vendors as needed to ensure appropriate pricing and delivery.
- Coordinate assignments in order to ensure economical use of food and timely preparation, including evaluation of employee performance in dining hall and facility.
- Plan menus and food utilization based on anticipated number of clients, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs. May work with nutritionist as available to prepare and review menus.
- Responsible for completing the necessary tasks for the operation of the kitchen and dining room for all residents while on shift.
- Develop, implement, monitor and comply with all inventory control systems which track all food and supply inventory and usage.
- Assist the receiving food and beverage deliveries and checking delivery contents in order to verify product quality and quantity.
- Perform cooking and food preparation duties.
- Ensure compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving.
- Investigate, report to supervisor, and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations.
- Maintain cleanliness and appearance of workspace to be in compliance with all sanitation and Department of Health standards.
- Ensure all food is stored in compliance with Department of Health standards.
- Keep records required by government agencies regarding sanitation.
- Work with Operations Director and other personnel to schedule use of client volunteers and/interns assigned to the facility.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must have at minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be formally trained in food service or culinary arts or have equivalent experience in food service or culinary arts.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in the field (or comparable experience). Experience in social service or public service sector a plus.
- Must have food handling certificate, pass medical requirements including TB test and pass background check.
- Must be efficient, have strong work ethic and organizational skills. Ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, staff, vendors and the general public.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts as needed.
*Acacia Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer*
Already have an account? Log in here