TERM: June- November
WAGE CATEGORY: SEASONAL POSITION
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Harvest Home Farmers’ Market, Inc. (HH) is the leading provider of farm-fresh produce and regionally grown foods distributed to the neediest families in distressed communities. HH has markets located in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Manhattan.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate and facilitate the daily set-up of farmers and vendors at market locations.
- Ensure that the site is maintained clean prior to opening and at the close of the market day. If needed the Site Monitor should assist in clearing debris to facilitate set-up by farmers and vendors.
- Ensure parking is available for farmers/vendors by handling parking issues and street closures, calling tow trucks when necessary.
- Enforce market documentation requirements, stall assignments and grievance procedures as outlined in the “Market Operating Procedures”.
- Work with farmers to help maximize revenue opportunities and ensure compliance. Take ownership of the market and foster a sense of pride in the community.
- Process payment transactions (SNAP/EBT, Debit and Credit).Prepare and submit reports daily.
- Maintain safekeeping of all market supplies included but not limited to: reporting forms, signs, banners, flyers, etc. provided by Harvest Home.
- Carry out at market and off site outreach that may include setup of literature/information tables, conduct customer count surveys.
- Provide direct assistance to farmers and customers at the market site as needed.
- Reliable, punctual and willing to commit to the entire market season
- Dynamic personality, strong customer service, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong hospitality background preferred/ Cashiers, retail sales, customer service reps Preferred
- Ability to work in multi-cultural settings with racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse populations
- Willing and able to stand for long periods of time and work outdoors
- Does not shy away from the heat/cold or wind/rain (we cannot emphasize this enough!)
- Has patience for some change in routine (ie: unreliable weather)
- Ability to speak other languages is a plus! (Spanish, French, Creole, Mandarin, Cantonese, Bengali, and Russian)
- Commitment to a minimum of 3 days per week, including Saturday, and monthly Monday morning meetings for the duration of the season
- Some knowledge of harvesting season and regional produce preferred but not necessary
- Must be a fast learner
- Hight School Diploma/GED required. Associate's Degree Preferred.
* Harvest Homes is an equal opportunity employer*