Acacia Network, the leading Latino integrated care nonprofit in the nation, offers the community, from children to seniors, a pathway to behavioral and primary healthcare, housing, and empowerment. We are visionary leaders transforming the triple aim of high quality, great experience at a lower cost. Acacia champions a collaborative environment to deliver vital health, housing and community building services, work we have been doing since 1969. By hiring talented individuals like you, we’ve been able to expand quickly, with offices in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Orlando, Tennessee, Maryland and Puerto Rico.
We are searching for a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who will be responsible for the provision of short and long term psychotherapy to a caseload of psychiatrically diagnosed individuals within the program.
Responsibilities consist of but not limited to:
- Maintain confidentiality of records relating to clients' treatment.
- Encourage clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, and help them to develop insight into themselves and their relationships.
- Guide clients in the development of skills and strategies for dealing with their problems.
- Prepare and maintain all required treatment records and reports.
- Counsel clients and patients, individually and in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, and making changes.
- Collect information about clients through interviews, observation, and tests.
- Act as client advocates in order to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations.
- Develop and implement treatment plans based on clinical experience and knowledge.
- Collaborate with other staff members to perform clinical assessments and develop treatment plans.
- Evaluate clients' physical or mental condition based on review of client information.
- Meet with families, probation officers, police, and other interested parties in order to exchange necessary information during the treatment process.
- Refer patients, clients, or family members to community resources or to specialists as necessary.
- Counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting clients or patients.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counseling programs and clients' progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives.
- Plan, organize and lead structured programs of counseling, work, study, recreation and social activities for clients.
- Modify treatment activities and approaches as needed in order to comply with changes in clients' status.
- Learn about new developments in their field by reading professional literature, attending courses and seminars, and establishing and maintaining contact with other social service agencies.
- Discuss with individual patients their plans for life after leaving therapy.
- Gather information about community mental health needs and resources that could be used in conjunction with therapy.
- Monitor clients' use of medications.
- Supervise other counselors, social service staff, and assistants.
- Plan and conduct programs to prevent substance abuse or improve community health and counseling services.
- Run workshops and courses about mental health issues.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or an equivalent related field required.
- Licensed as a Mental Health Counselor required.
- 1+ year of previous relevant experience in Social Work experience in a Mental or Behavioral Health environment required.
- Ability to use business acumen to exercise good judgment and decision-making.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues with diplomacy and discretion.
- Must be able to multi task with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to communicate both verbally and in written form.
- Commitment to cultural diversity and sensitivity.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor under pressure, and operate with a keen sense of urgency and commitment to quality.
We offer to the chosen candidate a generous compensation package!
*Acacia network is an Equal Opportunity Employer*