Acacia Network, the leading Latino integrated care nonprofit in the nation, offers the community, from children to seniors, a pathway to behavioral and primary healthcare, housing, and empowerment. We are visionary leaders transforming the triple aim of high quality, great experience at a lower cost. Acacia champions a collaborative environment to deliver vital health, housing and community building services, work we have been doing since 1969. By hiring talented individuals like you, we’ve been able to expand quickly, with offices in Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Orlando, Tennessee, Maryland and Puerto Rico.
We are seeking an Education Director to oversee and direct the planning, organizing, and implementation of education services for the children. These services contribute to the increased social competence in children and the recognition and enhancement of parents as the primary educators of their children.
Responsibilities consist of but not limited to:
- Participate in grantee pre-service trainings and all year long
- Perform the functions of this position with a strong understanding of the Head Start Performance Standards and the safety and service plans: ACS child development outcomes; and thorough knowledge and application of Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Deliver pre-service and monthly in-service training sessions to teaching staff
- Monitor the implementation of creative curricula in the classrooms and assure that checkpoints are met
- Supervise all classroom practices, room arrangement, lesson plans, daily schedules, routines, and transitions to assure their adherence to the program policies
- Carry out recommendations of the NYC-ACS monitor for program improvement
- Supervise children’s assessment, including weekly observations in each area, examples of the child’s work, developmental assessments, and children’s assessment data entry and outcome reports
- Assure that home visits and parent conferences are done and that the progress reports are completed and used to discuss the individualization for each child
- Assist the Family Assistants in implementing the Family Literacy Program
- Identify items and materials needed in the classrooms and assist the director in the placing of purchase orders
- Assist in the process to transition 4 year old children to kindergarten in September.
- Assist individual staff members in identifying their training needs and improving their knowledge and abilities
- Assist in recruiting and orienting volunteers, providing them with guidance as needed
- Evaluate the performance of teaching staff , at the end of the probation and annually thereafter, and recommend subsequent personnel action to the director
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of the Teacher Professional Development Plan
- Assure that staff files and documentation are complete, accurate, and confidentially maintained
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related subject required
- New York State Teaching Certificate for early childhood, or N – 6 or Birth – 2nd grade
- At least 5 years’ experience teaching early childhood
- Have knowledge and experience in the philosophy and practices of Head Start (or comparable child development programs), early childhood education, developmentally appropriate practice, and bilingual education
- Emotional maturity, willingness to cooperate with the aims of the program, respect for children and adults, flexibility & patience
- Visual and auditory acuity within professionally determined normal ranges, with correction if need
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer and office equipment, including, but not limited to, the telephone, fax machine, copier, and tape recorder
- Bilingual is a plus
- We offer to the chosen candidate a generous compensation package!
*Acacia network is an Equal Opportunity Employer*