This position is available with a government agency that centralizes recovery and rebuilding efforts in impacted areas of New York State. The agency aims to address communities’ most urgent needs, while encouraging the identification of innovative and enduring solutions to strengthen the State’s infrastructure and critical systems.
The Buyout & Acquisition Program purchases the properties of interested homeowners whose homes were substantially damaged or destroyed during Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Irene and/or Tropical Storm Lee. Properties purchased in the Buyout Program are transformed into open space, parks or stormwater management systems, creating a natural coastal buffer to safeguard against future storms. Properties purchased in the Acquisition Program are redeveloped in a resilient manner to protect future occupants of the home and maintain the housing stock in storm-impacted communities. The Senior Policy and Program Manager of the Buyout & Acquisition Program will assist the Program Director and Program staff in planning and implementing policies and special program. Special programs will cover unique property disposition scenarios such as affordable homeownership, sale to neighbors as extensions of yards, ecological restoration, or other locally driven outcomes such as green infrastructure, expansions of parks, and beach access. The Senior Policy and Program Manager will work in conjunction with municipal, state and federal partners to ensure the proper disposition of properties.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
▪ Provide General Support to the Program Director
▪ Managing the recovery process for properties from initial application through property disposition.
▪ Overseeing vendor teams who administer key program aspects including customer representatives, tenant relocation specialists, firms facilitating real estate closing, environmental inspectors, property maintenance firms, demolition firms, and auctioneers
▪ Assisting in developing and documenting policies and procedures for implementing, monitoring, and ensuring compliance with Federal and State laws
▪ Memorialize Program policy and procedural updates by writing and editing the Program policy and procedure manuals, which are published annually
▪ Conducting research on industry best practices
▪ Special Programs and Community Relations Management
▪ Serving as point of contact with municipal partners, particularly related to the planning of open space amenities in communities
▪ Assisting Program Director in addressing and problem-solving constituent issues
▪ Report to municipal and State partners on the status of program applicants and land-use make-up of their communities
▪ May represent agency at community outreach events
▪ Liaising with agency’s communications staff in directing website content, legislative affairs and public-facing communications
▪ Coordinating with other agency’s programs on overlap in policies, procedures, communications, and land-use planning.